However, if you insist on cleaning the gutters yourself, you can implement safety measures to help make the process go as smoothly as possible.
Here are common mistakes to avoid when cleaning gutters:
Not Cleaning Gutters Often
As mentioned earlier, procrastinating is a common issue homeowners have due to the fear of climbing a ladder and possibly getting injured. Your goal is to clean the gutters at least twice a year. However, if your yard has trees and luxurious landscaping, your gutters will build up with debris that makes the task more difficult when you finally get around to cleaning the mess. Instead, mark your calendar twice a year and tackle the grit in the gutters, it will make your life as a homeowner easier in the long run.
You Don’t Wear Protective Gear
Do you wear your favorite t-shirt and sweat pants to clean the gutters? Chances are you have ruined plenty of sentimental pieces of clothing, damaged your skin, and got minor to severe cuts and are ready to contact roofing companies in Northern VA. Protect yourself by wearing the right gear that includes rubber-soled shoes, gloves that have grip features, and close-fitting clothes.
You Choose the Wrong Time to Clean the Gutters
Not Using the Right Tools
Ignoring Ladder Safety Precautions
Here are helpful ladder safety tips to follow:
* Avoid using ladders during storms. If you live in an area that has frequent storms that cause roof and gutter damage, you can get it fixed by contacting professional roofing replacement companies in Woodbridge VA.
* Inspect the ladder before use to ensure it doesn’t have damage.
* Ask someone to hold the ladder for added support.
* Place the ladder on a firm surface to make it stable.
* Wear work boots or sneakers that have a strong grip sole when climbing the ladder.