How to Keep Your Deck in Great Shape During Winter
With all the rain and ice the Woodbridge area has gotten, it is likely that your deck is not being used this winter. While you might not be using it, you should not neglect it either. Things like accumulated snow can cause damage to your deck so it’s better to be proactive about your deck’s maintenance or you might regret it when spring comes around.
So what can you do in the winter to take care of your deck? Here are a few tips:
- Clean it: Take a few hours to sweep it and scrub it. Find a cleaner specific for your deck (deck or composite) and remove any mildew, mold or stains. Don’t forget to check the small spaces where mold is sure to grow.
- Protect it: After cleaning it, apply a stain. The stain will protect your deck against the winter conditions. It can help in reducing splitting, cracking and warping.
- Consider a Tarp: If you don’t have the time to do all of this, you can always get a tarp to protect your deck. It will not work as well when there is too much snow.
- Get rid of debris: You can do this while cleaning it but also if you notice it again. Do not let leaves, acorns, pine cones and more accumulate because it can be a problem during snowstorms.
- Shovel the snow: As soon as it stops snowing and it is safe to go out, shovel the snow out of your deck. Leaving the snow there can weigh down your deck. And if you have a wood deck that is untreated and unsealed the snow will melt, and the deck will absorb the water which will freeze and make it expand.
We hope you do a couple of these things this winter to avoid any deck damage in the future. If you are looking for a deck builder in the Woodbridge area, give us a call at 703-492-4663.
We have more great articles! Check out our latest three: 4 Signs that You Need a Roof Replacement, 5 Reasons to Choose MidAtlantic Contracting as Your Remodeling Contractor, and Saying Goodbye to 2017.